HOW TO PREP YOUR HOME FOR PHOTOGRAPHY
MAKE THE FIRST IMPRESSION COUNT
It's where ALL buyers start
All home buyers start their search online so it's important to make the FIRST IMPRESSION count. Follow these easy tips to prepare your home for the best photography outcome possible.
TIPS FOR ALL AREAS IN THE HOME
- Thoroughly clean entire house (vacuum carpets mop hardwood floors, clean countertops and clean windows
- Turn all overhead lights and lamps on
- Replace all burned out light bulbs
- Make sure all bulbs are of the same temperature (soft white is best)
- Turn off all ceiling fans
- Turn all tv's and computer screens off
- Open blinds/window treatments to allow outside light in
- Remove all personal photographs and small knick knacks
- Make all beds
- Remove small rugs to reveal flooring
- Place all clothing, shoes, jackets inside closets
CREATE "CURB APPEAL" TO SELL YOUR HOME
- Close garage doors
- Remove cars from driveway and from front of home
- Clean up landscaping (mow, trim shrubs, clear leaves)
- Remove empty planters
- Remove cobwebs from eaves and door frames
- Remove visible water hoses
- Remove toys, sports balls, soccer goals, basketball hoops, etc.
BACK YARD - The backyard should present a place to relax
- Clean porch, tidy up outdoor tables, chairs, cushions]
- Pillows/cushions should be fresh, not faded
- Clear out any kid's toys
- Clean pool
- Remove pool vacuum/cleaner hose
- Hide pool cleaning supplies
- Turn on pool fountains/water features
- Remove visible water hoses
- Remove trash cans
GENERALLY THE FOCAL POINT, THE KITCHEN DESERVES ATTENTION TO DETAIL
- Clear off countertops completely. NO knife blocks, mail, baking supplies, etc.
- Leave out max of one small appliance (e.g., coffee maker.)
- Clear outside of refrigerator of all magnets, papers, photos, etc.
- Hide trash cans in pantry or closet
- Remove dishes from sink
DINING ROOM / TABL
- Clear table, dust and polish the table. Remove any table linens.
- Use decorative place setting if available.
- Feature one center piece such as a bouquet of fresh flowers.
- Straighten all chairs and space them evenly.
- Remove child seats/booster chairs.
LIVING / FAMILY ROOM
- emove stacks of magazines, newspapers, mail, etc.,
- De-clutter fireplace mantle/hearth (No more than 5 items including art)
- Clean interior of fireplace
- Fluff and arrange furniture pillows
- Remove kids's toys
- Make bed, including decorative pillows/shams
- Press bed linens and bed skirts
- Clear nightstands of all personal items
- Store away phone charging cables
- Remove all clutter from top of dressers
- Remove family photos from walls
- Clear off all countertops. No soap, toothbrushes, medications, etc.,
- Put toilet seat covers down
- Close closet doors
- Remove shampoo, soap, loofahs, etc., from showers and tubs.
- Remove dirty towels - leave out only new UNUSED towels.
- Remove floor mats.
STAGING HELPS PROVIDE TOP DOLLAR AND A QUICK SALE
Selling your home is like selling a product - it must be marketed correctly to reach a specific buyer. Although your furnishings and decor are great for your lifestyle, it’s important to optimize your home for the future owner.
All of the tips suggested in the previous sections were approved by professional home stagers from the Real Estate Staging Association (RESA).
A professional home stager can provide you with a consultation to help you prepare your home for sale and make sure your home shows at its best online through the photographs.